The Urban Land Institute has a long history of providing unbiased, practical ideas and best practices on land use and sustainable development. Communities can access the unique expertise of our members locally through any of the ULI Cleveland technical assistance services, including Technical Assistance Panels, Policy Workshops, and our Development Dialogues.
We look forward to working together to identify challenges and provide recommended solutions for complex land use planning and development projects, programs and policies to your community.
Tailoring our Services to your Community Needs
Moving your project forward
ULI Cleveland’s Technical Assistance Panel (TAP) provides comprehensive and strategic advice in response to a specific land use or development assignment.
Building Local Capacity
Policy Workshops use regional demographic data and case studies to identify challenges and recommendations that address a broad real estate issue.
Connecting land use and economic growth
Development Dialogues foster discussion between ULI members and municipal leaders to connect community growth, economic potential and development opportunities.
- ULI will bring an unbiased, market-based perspective to your land use or development challenge.
- Our members can tell you what kinds of development you can realistically expect, and what tools you might use to attract the development you want.
How is this different from what we’ve done before?
- Unlike lengthy planning engagements, a TAP is a brief (1-2 day) and focused (3-5 question) process.
- A TAP can be as public or private as you choose. Some communities want to draw the attention of the development community through the TAP process – more on that below. But if you want a quiet, private assessment we can do that, too.
- The TAP may include a review and assessment of previous plans, but it will not be a repeat. Instead, ULI can tell you:
- What parts of that plan are feasible?
- Where should you focus your efforts?
- What aspects of the plan may not match current market realities?
How is this different from a consulting firm?
ULI does not want to compete with consultants—they are our members and sponsors! This is different because:
- No consulting firm or team can offer the wide variety of expertise that we can access through our members.
- No consulting firm can complete their work for the price range of a TAP. ULI is a non-profit, and our members are donating their time. The price of a TAP is used as an additional revenue source for ULI Cleveland to support our general overhead and events.
- Often, a TAP engagement leads to future work for consultants, and provides the needed information to develop an accurate scope/RFP.
If you want it to, a ULI TAP can help draw the attention of the development community to your community.
- Panelists will get an in-depth look at your community, meet area stakeholders, and begin to develop relationships.
- The TAP can be promoted through ULI’s website and social media channels, which will draw attention to your community. We can also work with you to develop press releases and get media coverage of the TAP, if you wish.
- The results of the TAP may be shared with a larger ULI audience (with your approval), through events or publications. In this way, others will learn about the development opportunities available in your community.
Why else might I want a TAP?
- You have some great people working on your project, but could benefit from an outside perspective.
- Through the TAP process, you might be introduced to potential opportunities or partners you might not have known otherwise, like a government funding program, investor or developer who has been involved in similar projects.
- ULI is recognized and respected for the expertise of our members. A project that has been through a ULI TAP process may have unique development characteristics, making the project more valuable than it would have been if developed in a more conventional manner. Or you may find it easier to gain regulatory approvals and/or attract capital, as it will have the TAP report as backup or proof of concept.
National Advisory Services Program
ULI’s national advisory services program was established in 1947. ULI has completed more than 600 panels, in 47 states, 12 countries, and 4 continents.
For questions about ULI Cleveland’s TAP program or to submit an application, please contact Melanie Kortyka at Melanie.Kortyka@uli.org. Applications also can be mailed to ULI Cleveland at PO Box 110416 Cleveland, OH 44111.
To learn more about ULI’s TAP program, connect with the ULI Cleveland TAP coordinators:
Partner, Benesch, Friedlander, Coplan & Aronoff
Design Director, NELSON Worldwide
The Urban Land Institute – Cleveland, is accepting Technical Assistance Panel (TAP) applications for the 2020-2021 cycle. Applications will be reviewed by our Technical Assistance Panels Steering Committee on an on-going basis. Please find the application here.
Learn MoreTechnical Assistance Brochure
The goal of this Technical Assistance Panel (TAP) was to assist TMA Staff and Board leadership with long term campus visioning and technical recommendations. TMA engaged Urban Land Institute (ULI) Cleveland to conduct a TAP to explore options and strategies that will ultimately influence the creation of a request for proposals for acquisition, development and redevelopment of the TMA land and assets. This report summarizes the recommendations of the TAP. To read the complete report click here.